Friday, January 7, 2011

A Simple Thought

I had a lot of ideas about what to write today, but I found myself saying something to my husband that I realized would be perfect:

"You can only do the best you can with what you're given."

I said this to him a few times today, as we're both under quite a bit of pressure professionally. Partly, of course, I said this hoping that I would believe it myself...and to my surprise, I did. When things get really difficult, I ask myself, "What's the worst that could happen?" I could lose my job, my money, my academic good-standing, but could I lose something really important to me? My health? My happiness? My family?

Sometimes we have to simplify our thoughts and break things down into what's important and what's not. A professional goal may seem important temporarily. But if you don't achieve it, what's the worst that could happen? On the other hand, family is important. The worst that could happen in this case is that you lose the love and support of a loved one. I cannot think of a greater catastrophe.

So as we work hard in our roles and responsibilities as students, employees, etc, we should take a little pressure off and remember that our most important responsibilities are to ourselves and to our loved ones. Without a healthy and happy family, "simply" nothing else matters.

"I don't care how poor a man is; if he has family, he's rich."
Thad Mumford, Writer&Producer

"Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts."
Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment