Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Simple Moment

I woke up this morning reassuring myself that it was okay not to cook, clean, do laundry or anything else today so as to give myself a full day of playing catch up with my studying. My sole responsibilities today were to attend a meeting for an NPO I'm involved with in the morning and then study until evening. Boy, did I have it all wrong.

This morning's meeting served as a catalyst for my signing up for too many responsibilities I don't have time for. I then set out to accomplish said tasks, and I sit here now, 5 hours later, still trying to get them done. Today, I'll write about tea.

With it's origins in south and east Asia and it's debut unknown, tea was has been a common drink in for over 4,000 years. Many studies have shown tea to have disease fighting capabilities. Medicinal qualities aside, tea often has the most beautiful benefit of being a relaxant.

You see, tea doesn't have to be a social drink, a caffeine fix, or even a cold weather pick-me-up. It's not just your chai tea latte or your green tea weight loss supplement. Sometimes, tea can just be a gift to you. The gift of a moment...just for yourself.

As a sworn member of the anti-caffeine campaign, I'm a firm believer in the herbal teas. By herbal tea, I don't mean black tea with lemon or secretly caffeinated green tea. I mean genuinely natural, home brewed, herbs and water. A few of my favorites ingredients are:

-lemongrass: Detoxifier and reducer of blood pressure.
-ginger: The super plant! From plant to root, ginger seems to help nearly everything.
-lavender: Alleviation of anxiety, irritability, and tension.
-peppermint: Refreshing flavor and soothing to an upset stomach.
-honey: The yummy antiseptic and antibacterial sweetening agent.

So as I sit here, slowly building anxiety about the work I have and the hours I don't, I think I'll put life on hold and make myself a simple cup of tea. After all, who doesn't need a moment "simply" for themselves?


“There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea.” 
                                                                                     -Bernard-Paul Heroux, 1900's Philosopher

No comments:

Post a Comment