Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Simple Sacrifice

Obvious as it may be, I recently went on a hiatus from blogging. Initially, I set out to blog for simplicity and to iron out the whirlwind of thoughts that seemed to complicate life. I wanted to find joy in the simple things, go back to the basics, and give myself a fresh start. For a moment there, I failed. I think the most important lesson to remember here is that we are, in fact, human. We will make mistakes, and we will meet with obstacles. I have had a few obstacles along the way, but now I'm back: ready to take on any complications this life has to offer.

Tonight, as I regret the pizza we just ordered and strive to find the will to type after having just finished three papers for my classes, I want to explore the thought of sacrifice. I look back on these past couple of months, and I see that much was sacrificed for a new job, a new hectic schedule, and a new load of responsibilities. Health, quality time with my husband, smiles, housekeeping, laughs, hobbies, home-cooked meals, and (regrettably) daily baths have all been sacrificed as I took on a new job. (Note: showers were taken, just not relaxed ones.)

It would be easy to look at these last few weeks and be deeply disappointed. I look at it as a simple sacrifice. We do it everyday. Who hasn't sacrificed a breakfast here or there to get to work on time? I think the lesson to be learned is that we will make involuntary sacrifices, but we can always bounce back from them. This is me, bouncing back.

It's off to bed I go, with high hopes for tomorrow, and wishing my husband good luck in his pursuit for the will to wake up at 5:00 am. What happens if he doesn't? In the big picture, nothing. It's just a simple sacrifice.

"The sacrifice which causes sorrow to the doer of the sacrifice is no sacrifice. Real sacrifice lighten the mind of the doer and gives him a sense of peace and joy. The Buddha gave up the pleasures of life because they had become painful to him."
                                                                                                    -Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment